|West Highland Way Challenge Race|
|Tough & Rugged|
Any competitors withdrawing from the race will be required withdraw at a Check or Water Point. If unable to do so, then contact the organisers by phone and if possible make their way to the nearest main road, where they will be uplifted and transferred to Fort William.
1. ON WITHDRAWING FROM THE RACE, EACH COMPETITOR MUST HAND THEIR RACE NUMBER TO A RACE MARSHAL. THEY WILL STILL BE CLASSED AS IN THE RACE UNTIL THE RACE NUMBER IS HANDED TO A MARSHAL. A COMPETITORS FAILURE TO HAND OVER THEIR RACE NUMBER COULD RESULT IN POLICE AND MOUNTAIN RESCUE BEING INFORMED THAT A COMPETITOR IS MISSING, SO PLEASE ADHEAR STRICTLY TO THIS RULE.
2. Each competitor is required to be aged 18, or over on the day of the event.
3. Regisration closes at 23:00 hours on the Friday night ( emergency entries close 23:50 hr ), one hour before the start of the WHW Challenge Race.
4. In the event of unpredictable weather the organisers reserve the right to group competitors into minimum groups of 2 for travelling through exposed area. These groups must remain together or until they are split at a Check Point by a race marshal. The race cut-off time of 35 hours can be extended in adverse weather.
5. The following must be carried at all times in the race:
A fully WATERPROOF HOODED JACKET with taped seams ( this does not include a Pertex only garment, or other shower proof only garments) [ 'Pertex Shield' is waterproof and is acceptable]
A pair GLOVES
A MAP of the full W.H.W. ('Harveys', or 'Footprint' provide these maps.)
The COMPETITOR IS REQUIRED TO CARRY A 'SWITCHED ON' MOBILE PHONE AT ALL TIMES DURING THE RACE to allow contact to be made with them.
The mobile number must be provided to the race in the Entry Form. If a phone number has changed, then the new number must be provided at Registration.
6. For SAFETY at Registration competitors must provide to the organisers a SMALL EMERGENCY RUCKSACK containing an sleeping bag weighing a minimum 800 grams and an orange type emergency 'Survival Bag'. This rucksack will be re-issued to the competitor at Check Point 5: Bridge of Orchy Hall ( 60 miles) and must be carried to the Finish in Fort William. The emergency rucksack must also be carried by competitors climbing Ben Nevis. This safety measure is to ensure outer 'waterproof, windproof and insulation cover' are provided to the competitor, until help arrives, in the event of the competitor being immobilised.
Note for NOVICES: Please don't turn up with heavy rucksacks which have everythng including the kitchen sink. There is no need during the race to have a rucksack weighing more than 10lbs, including water. Spare shoes, towels, change of clothing, etc. should be put in the drop bags.